Thursday, July 2, 2009

Running in the San Francisco Bay Area - Wednesday, July 1

I missed my Tuesday run. We were getting packed and running last minute errands, then flying from Richmond, VA to San Francisco, California, and the flight attendants don't approve of any attempts to run three miles using only the aircraft aisles!

My internal clock woke me up late, Virginia time, but it was only 5:30 in Oakland. I tried to go back to sleep for a half hour, but gave up and got out of bed at 6:00 a.m. I put on my running shoes, shorts, and shirt, and trotted down to College Avenue.
Turning north, I jogged past Claremont Junior High School (now Claremont Middle School), on past the boundary between Oakland and Berkeley, and past the Elmwood, and old neighborhood theater that is still thriving.


Soon I reached the campus of the University of California, Berkeley, and ran past the campanile bell tower that chimes the hours and whose carrilon bells still provide daily concerts.












Then across campus past Dwinelle Hall and out through Sather Gate on Telegraph Avenue.











Although it was still early, the sidewalk vendors were already setting out their wares...jewelry, leather goods, incense, tie-dyed shirts, and other handicrafts, making jogging along the sidewalk more like an obstacle course.


By the time I'd made my way back to College Avenue and back to my sister's house, I'd covered 6 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment